I noticed recently that my cron.php setup was not working anymore on my Drupal websites.
Cron.php had not been called in a very long time and this turned out to be because lynx was not available from the Jailshell with my web hosting provider. wget did not work either and the curl script did not have access to the curl executable.
I started looking for an alternative and found a useful comment on the trusty Drupal site at this page
The solution is to use Perl. Perl worked great, so now I have something like the following Perl script called by my crontab process.
#!/usr/bin/perl require HTTP::Request; require LWP::UserAgent; $request = HTTP::Request->new(GET => 'http://www.domain1.com/cron.php'); $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new; $ua->request($request); $request = HTTP::Request->new(GET => 'http://www.domain2.com/cron.php'); $ua->request($request);